There it was, that sign again… the announcement of a yard sale… “so what” you ask? Well, it’s where the yard sale sign is located that captures my attention…
Nearly everyday, I pass by an old church, with a cemetery attached… this used to be common practice for churches in our area. However, the uniqueness of this church is that the cemetery is actually in front of the church… and so the sign announcing upcoming ‘church’ events is located on the grounds of the cemetery. Which is why the following message on the sign in the cemetery caught my eye… “Yard Sale Saturday”. “Wow”, I thought. “I wonder what one has to sell when one is in a cemetery?” Okay, I know, that’s a rather strange thought… But, take a moment to think about it…
What would I sell if I was in a cemetery?
- Hours wasted worrying about things that never happened?
- Frustration about not always being in control of my life’s events?
- Things I kept because ‘I might use them someday’?
- Complaint about minor aches and pains?
- Excuses given for why I didn’t or couldn’t do something?
- Dreams I didn’t following… being too busy to enjoy life more?
And… what would I buy at a ‘yard sale’ in a cemetery? These are thoughts taken from actual tombstones…
- Always loving, always loved
- Uncompromisingly unique
- Generous of heart, constant of faith
- Forever in our hearts
- An inspiration to all – remembered
- Peace, perfect peace
Well, something more for me to think about… how about you? Mark Twain said, “Twenty years from no you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the things you did.” Eleanor Roosevelt wrote, “The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences.” And finally, statesman Adlai Stevenson said, “It is not the years in your life but the life in your years that counts.”
Maybe today is the day to rid ourselves of ‘unneeded things and thoughts’ and the day to begin to do the things that are really important to us. Let’s start together!